After almost 2 months of running in Lumpinee park about 2-3 times a week, I did a full loop running for the first time last night. Yes, I did it!
This is one of acheivement I have set for this year. First step of this acheivement actually because I expect to be able to run 5 km. without a break. So, reaching 2.5 km. is an impressive semi-final target. Anyway, I got help from my friend who ran beside me and encouraged me.
It was difficult for me to complete the full loop. Not due to physical condition, but my mind. I have a feeling that my mind loves to play game with me. Everytime I run and reach 1 km. line, my mind starts to tell me "You can't run any further. This distance is the best you can do" and then I immediately feel exhuasted and my legs lose energy. It is such a mind game I have to play, not physical challenge.
I later learnt to trick my mind, I start my running at different point each time so that 1 km. point is changed. It works a bit, but still cannot run further than 1.2 km. What is the problem? What does stop me?
Last week, my friend offered to help me. He ran with me and pushed (actually, forced) me to keep running. I found that although I ran for 1 km. and walk for another 4km, I could run for another 1.3 km. Ahh I see what my problem is. I fail in the mind game. I cannot force myself to do what I don't believe I can do. I have never tried to go beyond (what I think) my capability.
This remind me of my time in the Executive Leadership course I attended couple years ago. I had to do outdoor activities. FYI, I am not (or I, again think I am not) an outdoor type of person. One of outdoor activity really touched and scared me was "How far you think you can jump?" We were divided into teams. Each team had to make highest score from accumulated distance each team member can jump. Yeah sound easy if it wasn't jumping from one skinny platform to another tiny one and both platform are about 8 m. height.
(I wasn't in this picture, I took it)
Everyone was asked "How far do you think you can jump?" because the instructor then would make the gap between 2 platforms to meet that distance. "0.60 m." was my answer. It took a long time for me to jump from platform A (on the left in the picture) to the platform B (on the right of the picture). When I finally on platform B, I was told that I had to jump back to platform A. OMG! platform B was on a single pole. My legs were shaking and so was the pole. I thought I couldn't do that and about to cry. My legs still couldn't move. I was told that I had choice to climb down the pole if I felt I couldn't jump back. My team mate kept saying "You can do it! Jump! You can do it!" So after minutes standing at 8 m. above ground with my shaking legs, I decided to jump.
"I can do it! I am alive!" I gave instructor big hug.
When I got back to the left platform, the intructor asked me "Do you know how far you jumped?".
"60 cm" I said.
"No, it was 80 cm." he told me.
"Noway, I saw you make it 60 cm. when I jumped from here to there", I agrued.
"Yes, but I made space bigger later" He said.
Ahh, I quickly realised that when I jumped to the platform B and was facing to other direction, he moved the left platform a bit bigger than I asked for but I didn't know that. So to my mind, it was 60 cm. still.
"This is not about how big the space for you to jump. As long as you think it is within your capability, you will be able to do it. You can see that sometimes you can do beyond what you think you can"
Yes such a mind game. It is an art how to set target vs your capability. Sometimes you need someone to trick you or push you to go beyond just to let you see your real capability. This is what my friend did for me last week and yesterday. Thank you very much to let me know that I can go further.
Now I start thinking what my real or actual capabilities are. Gotta find out!
xx
It's me
Everyone was asked "How far do you think you can jump?" because the instructor then would make the gap between 2 platforms to meet that distance. "0.60 m." was my answer. It took a long time for me to jump from platform A (on the left in the picture) to the platform B (on the right of the picture). When I finally on platform B, I was told that I had to jump back to platform A. OMG! platform B was on a single pole. My legs were shaking and so was the pole. I thought I couldn't do that and about to cry. My legs still couldn't move. I was told that I had choice to climb down the pole if I felt I couldn't jump back. My team mate kept saying "You can do it! Jump! You can do it!" So after minutes standing at 8 m. above ground with my shaking legs, I decided to jump.
"I can do it! I am alive!" I gave instructor big hug.
When I got back to the left platform, the intructor asked me "Do you know how far you jumped?".
"60 cm" I said.
"No, it was 80 cm." he told me.
"Noway, I saw you make it 60 cm. when I jumped from here to there", I agrued.
"Yes, but I made space bigger later" He said.
Ahh, I quickly realised that when I jumped to the platform B and was facing to other direction, he moved the left platform a bit bigger than I asked for but I didn't know that. So to my mind, it was 60 cm. still.
"This is not about how big the space for you to jump. As long as you think it is within your capability, you will be able to do it. You can see that sometimes you can do beyond what you think you can"
Yes such a mind game. It is an art how to set target vs your capability. Sometimes you need someone to trick you or push you to go beyond just to let you see your real capability. This is what my friend did for me last week and yesterday. Thank you very much to let me know that I can go further.
Now I start thinking what my real or actual capabilities are. Gotta find out!
xx
It's me
No comments:
Post a Comment